Anglo American: A Leading Global Mining Company
Anglo American is a leading global mining company that produces essential metals and minerals for modern life. The company operates in 36 countries across six continents, with a diverse and skilled workforce of over 90,000 people. Anglo American’s vision is to re-imagine mining to improve people’s lives, by applying innovation, sustainability and social responsibility to every aspect of its business.
What Anglo American does
Anglo American produces a wide range of products that are essential for urban and industrial growth, as well as for fulfilling people’s dreams. Some of the products include:
- Diamonds: Anglo American owns 85% of De Beers Group, the world’s leading diamond company. De Beers Group produces high-quality diamonds that represent the ultimate symbol of love and life’s milestones.
- Copper: Anglo American is one of the world’s largest producers of copper, a vital material for renewable energy, electric vehicles and digital technologies. Copper also has antibacterial properties that can help prevent the spread of diseases.
- Platinum group metals (PGMs): Anglo American is the world’s largest producer of PGMs, which are used in catalytic converters to reduce harmful emissions from vehicles, as well as in fuel cells, hydrogen production and medical devices.
- Iron ore: Anglo American is a major supplier of high-quality iron ore, the key ingredient for steelmaking. Iron ore is used to build infrastructure, transport and machinery that support economic development and human welfare.
- Coal: Anglo American produces both metallurgical coal, which is used to make steel, and thermal coal, which is used to generate electricity. Anglo American is committed to reducing its carbon footprint and transitioning to a low-carbon economy.
- Nickel: Anglo American produces nickel, a metal that is used in stainless steel, batteries, alloys and speciality chemicals. Nickel has high corrosion resistance and can withstand extreme temperatures.
- Manganese: Anglo American produces manganese, a metal that is used to improve the strength and durability of steel. Manganese also has applications in batteries, fertilizers and animal feed.
How Anglo American works
Anglo American strives to be a responsible and innovative mining company that creates value for its stakeholders and contributes to a sustainable future. Some of the ways that Anglo American works include:
- FutureSmart Miningâ¢: This is Anglo American’s approach to technology, digitalisation and sustainability that aims to transform the nature of mining. FutureSmart Miningâ¢ focuses on finding safer, smarter and more efficient ways to source, mine, process, move and market its products.
- Sustainable Mining Plan: This is Anglo American’s plan to support the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through its pillars and stretch goals. The plan covers areas such as health and safety, environment, community development, diversity and inclusion, human rights and governance.
- Social Way: This is Anglo American’s framework for engaging with its host communities and ensuring that its operations have a positive social impact. The Social Way guides how Anglo American identifies and manages social risks and opportunities, builds trust and respect with stakeholders, and delivers shared value.
Why Anglo American matters
Anglo American matters because it plays a vital role in improving people’s lives through its products, operations and contributions. Some of the reasons why Anglo American matters include:
- Economic impact: Anglo American generates significant economic value for its shareholders, employees, suppliers, customers and host countries. In 2022, Anglo American paid $10.3 billion in taxes and royalties, supported 724,000 direct and indirect jobs, invested $3 billion in capital expenditure and distributed $4.1 billion in dividends.
- Social impact: Anglo American supports the well-being and development of its host communities through various initiatives and partnerships. In 2022, Anglo American invested $185 million in social projects, reached 1.9 million beneficiaries through its education programmes, provided 3 million people