Biscayne Bay: A Tropical Paradise in Miami
Biscayne Bay is a large lagoon that lies between the Atlantic Ocean and the mainland of Miami, Florida. It is home to a diverse ecosystem of marine life, coral reefs, mangroves, islands, and parks. Biscayne Bay is also a popular destination for boating, fishing, kayaking, snorkeling, and scuba diving.
In this article, we will explore some of the best things to do and see in Biscayne Bay, as well as some tips on how to plan your visit.
What to Do in Biscayne Bay
There are plenty of activities and attractions to enjoy in Biscayne Bay, whether you are looking for adventure, relaxation, or culture. Here are some of the highlights:
- Biscayne National Park: This is the largest marine park in the United States, covering 95% of Biscayne Bay. It protects four distinct habitats: the bay, the keys, the coral reefs, and the offshore waters. You can explore the park by boat, kayak, canoe, or paddleboard, or join a guided tour or ranger program. You can also visit the Dante Fascell Visitor Center, which features exhibits, films, and a bookstore.
- Bayside Marketplace: This is a waterfront shopping and entertainment complex that offers more than 150 shops, restaurants, bars, and live music. You can stroll along the promenade, enjoy the views of the bay and the skyline, or hop on a sightseeing cruise or water taxi.
- Miami Seaquarium: This is a marine park that showcases a variety of aquatic animals and shows. You can see dolphins, sea lions, manatees, penguins, sharks, turtles, and more. You can also interact with some of the animals through programs like Dolphin Encounter, Seal Swim, and Reef Encounter.
- Vizcaya Museum and Gardens: This is a historic estate that was built in the early 20th century by industrialist James Deering. It features a lavish Italian Renaissance-style villa, surrounded by 10 acres of formal gardens and native forest. You can tour the museum, which displays art and furniture from Europe and Asia, or wander around the gardens, which include fountains, statues, grottos, and a maze.
How to Plan Your Visit to Biscayne Bay
Here are some tips on how to make the most of your trip to Biscayne Bay:
- When to go: The best time to visit Biscayne Bay is from November to April, when the weather is mild and dry. The summer months are hot and humid, and also prone to hurricanes and thunderstorms.
- How to get there: The easiest way to get to Biscayne Bay is by car. You can rent a car at Miami International Airport or downtown Miami. You can also take public transportation, such as buses or Metrorail. If you want to visit Biscayne National Park, you will need to take a boat from one of the marinas or visitor centers.
- Where to stay: There are many hotels and resorts in Miami that offer views of Biscayne Bay or access to its beaches. Some of the best options are Mandarin Oriental Miami, Four Seasons Hotel Miami, InterContinental Miami, Hilton Miami Downtown, and Marriott Biscayne Bay.
- What to bring: Depending on what you plan to do in Biscayne Bay, you may need to bring some essentials such as sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, water bottle, swimsuit, towel, snorkel gear, camera, binoculars,