How to Buy the Best Cocktail Shaker for Your Home Bar
If you love making cocktails at home, you need a good cocktail shaker. A cocktail shaker is a device that mixes ingredients and chills drinks by shaking them with ice. There are different types of cocktail shakers, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. In this article, we will help you choose the best cocktail shaker for your home bar, based on your preferences, budget and skill level.
Types of Cocktail Shakers
There are three main types of cocktail shakers: Boston shaker, cobbler shaker and French shaker.
- Boston shaker: This is the most common type of cocktail shaker, used by professional bartenders and enthusiasts alike. It consists of two parts: a metal tin and a glass or plastic mixing glass. To use it, you fill the mixing glass with ice and ingredients, then place the tin on top and seal it with a firm tap. You shake the drink vigorously, then separate the two parts by breaking the seal with another tap. You strain the drink into a glass using a Hawthorne strainer or a julep strainer. The advantages of a Boston shaker are that it is easy to clean, versatile and allows you to see the ingredients. The disadvantages are that it requires some practice to seal and unseal it properly, and that it can be messy if not done correctly.
- Cobbler shaker: This is the most user-friendly type of cocktail shaker, ideal for beginners and casual drinkers. It consists of three parts: a metal tin, a metal lid with a built-in strainer and a metal cap. To use it, you fill the tin with ice and ingredients, then screw on the lid and cap. You shake the drink gently, then remove the cap and pour the drink into a glass through the strainer. The advantages of a cobbler shaker are that it is easy to use, leak-proof and has a built-in strainer. The disadvantages are that it is harder to clean, less versatile and can dilute the drink more than other types of shakers.
- French shaker: This is the most elegant type of cocktail shaker, favored by some connoisseurs and collectors. It consists of two parts: a metal tin and a metal lid. To use it, you fill the tin with ice and ingredients, then place the lid on top and seal it with a twist. You shake the drink vigorously, then separate the two parts by twisting them again. You strain the drink into a glass using a separate strainer. The advantages of a French shaker are that it is stylish, simple and creates a tight seal. The disadvantages are that it is harder to find, more expensive and requires a separate strainer.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Cocktail Shaker
Besides the type of cocktail shaker, there are other factors to consider when buying one for your home bar. Here are some of them:
- Size: Cocktail shakers come in different sizes, ranging from 8 oz to 28 oz. The size you need depends on how many drinks you want to make at once and how much space you have in your kitchen or bar. Generally speaking, larger shakers can make more drinks at once, but they also take up more space and require more ice. Smaller shakers can make fewer drinks at once, but they also take up less space and require less ice.
- Material: Cocktail shakers are usually made of stainless steel, which is durable, rust-resistant and easy to clean. However, some people prefer other materials such as glass, copper or plastic for aesthetic or functional reasons. Glass shakers allow you to see the ingredients and measure them more accurately, but they are also more fragile and prone to breaking. Copper shakers add a vintage touch to your bar, but they are also more expensive and require more care to prevent tarnishing. Plastic shakers are lightweight and cheap, but they are also less durable and can affect the taste of your drinks.
- Design: Cocktail shakers come in different shapes, colors and styles, from classic to modern to novelty. The design you choose depends on your personal taste and the theme of your bar. Some people prefer sleek and minimalist shakers that blend in