How to Buy the Best Coffee Beans in NYC
If you are a coffee lover who likes to brew your own java at home, you know how important it is to find fresh and flavorful coffee beans. But where can you buy the best coffee beans in NYC? With so many cafes and shops offering different varieties and roasts, it can be hard to choose the right one for your taste and budget. That’s why we have compiled this guide to help you find the best places to buy coffee beans in NYC, based on quality, selection, price, and customer service.
Here are some of the factors you should consider when buying coffee beans in NYC:
- Origin: Coffee beans come from different regions of the world, each with its own climate, soil, and processing methods. Some of the most popular origins are Ethiopia, Colombia, Brazil, Kenya, Indonesia, and Hawaii. Depending on your preference, you may want to try different origins to find the one that suits your palate.
- Roast: Coffee beans are roasted at different levels of darkness, from light to dark. The roast level affects the flavor, aroma, acidity, body, and caffeine content of the coffee. Light roasts tend to have more fruity and floral notes, while dark roasts tend to have more smoky and bitter notes. You may want to experiment with different roasts to find the one that matches your mood and brewing method.
- Freshness: Coffee beans are best when they are freshly roasted and ground. The longer they are exposed to air, light, heat, and moisture, the more they lose their flavor and aroma. Ideally, you should buy coffee beans that are roasted within a week of purchase and grind them right before brewing. You should also store them in an airtight container away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
- Price: Coffee beans vary in price depending on their origin, quality, rarity, and demand. Generally, specialty coffee beans are more expensive than commercial coffee beans, but they also offer more complex and nuanced flavors. You may want to splurge on some premium coffee beans once in a while, but you can also find some affordable options that still taste great.
- Customer service: Buying coffee beans in NYC is not just about the product, but also about the experience. You want to buy from a place that has knowledgeable and friendly staff who can help you choose the right beans for your needs. You also want to buy from a place that has a good reputation and a loyal customer base.
Now that you know what to look for when buying coffee beans in NYC, here are some of the best places to buy them:
The Roasting Plant Coffee
This shop on the Lower East Side offers over 15 different kinds of beans from places like Colombia, Ethiopia, Hawaii, and other exotic locations. Most of the beans are grown at high altitudes to ensure deep, rich natural flavors. One of the top beans is the Bali Blue Moon, an organic coffee with full-bodied flavor and hints of cereal milk and chocolate. You can also watch the beans being roasted on-site using a patented system that delivers them directly to your cup.
Porto Rico Importing Co.
This family-owned business has been importing and roasting coffee beans since 1907. It has a wide range of beans from almost every part of the world, as well as flavored coffees made with natural ingredients like sambuca, clove, orange peel, and cinnamon sticks. You can also request a custom blend or a special flavoring method that has been passed down through generations. The store has a cozy atmosphere and a friendly staff who can help you find your perfect bean.
This roaster in Brooklyn sources its beans from small farms and cooperatives around the world. It has a variety of single-origin coffees from Ethiopia, Guatemala, Kenya, and more. One of its best coffees is the Githembe AA from Kenya, which has a fruity character with floral hints. It is a relatively new coffee bean that is becoming a favorite