How to Buy a Shower Enclosure for Your Bathroom
A shower enclosure is a great way to add style and functionality to your bathroom. A shower enclosure can create a separate space for bathing, prevent water from splashing on the floor, and enhance the look of your bathroom. But how do you choose the right shower enclosure for your needs? Here are some factors to consider before you buy.
Types of Shower Enclosures
There are different types of shower enclosures available, depending on the shape, size, and design of your bathroom. Some of the most common types are:
- Alcove shower kit: This type of shower enclosure fits into a three-wall recessed space in your bathroom, leaving one side open for a door. Alcove shower kits are ideal for small bathrooms or for saving space. They usually come with a base and a door, and sometimes with walls as well.
- Corner shower kit: This type of shower enclosure fits into a corner of your bathroom, leaving two sides open for doors. Corner shower kits are also good for small bathrooms or for creating a more spacious feel. They usually come with a base and two doors, and sometimes with walls as well.
- One-piece shower kit: This type of shower enclosure is a single unit that includes a base, walls, and a door. One-piece shower kits are easy to install and maintain, but they may be difficult to fit through narrow doorways or stairs. They are suitable for bathrooms with enough space and access.
- Walk-in shower enclosure: This type of shower enclosure has no door and creates an open and airy feel in your bathroom. Walk-in shower enclosures are ideal for modern and minimalist bathrooms, or for people with mobility issues. They usually come with a base and one or more walls, depending on the layout of your bathroom.
- Wet room: This type of shower enclosure is not really an enclosure at all, but rather a waterproofed area in your bathroom that includes a shower head and a drain. Wet rooms are the most spacious and luxurious option, but they require professional installation and waterproofing. They are suitable for large bathrooms or for creating a spa-like atmosphere.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Shower Enclosure
Besides the type of shower enclosure, there are other factors to consider when buying one for your bathroom. Some of these factors are:
- Size: The size of your shower enclosure should match the size of your bathroom and the available space. You should measure the length, width, and height of your bathroom and the area where you want to install the shower enclosure. You should also consider the clearance needed for opening and closing the doors.
- Shape: The shape of your shower enclosure should complement the shape of your bathroom and the style of your decor. You can choose from square, rectangular, quadrant, or neo-angle shapes, depending on your preference and space constraints.
- Glass thickness: The glass thickness of your shower enclosure affects its durability, safety, and appearance. The thicker the glass, the more sturdy and secure it is, but also the heavier and more expensive it is. The standard glass thicknesses range from 4mm to 8mm, with 6mm being the most common.
- Glass finish: The glass finish of your shower enclosure affects its transparency, privacy, and maintenance. You can choose from clear, frosted, tinted, or patterned glass finishes, depending on your preference and needs. Clear glass is the most transparent and bright option, but it also shows more water marks and fingerprints. Frosted glass is more opaque and private option, but it also reduces the light in your bathroom. Tinted glass is more stylish and modern option, but it also alters the color of your bathroom. Patterned glass is more decorative and unique option, but it also may be harder to clean.
- Frame type: The frame type of your shower enclosure affects its stability, durability, and appearance. You can choose from framed, semi-framed, or frameless designs, depending on your preference and budget. Framed designs have metal frames around the glass panels that provide support and structure. Semi-framed designs have metal frames