Company of Heroes – New Steam Version (v.2.700.0): What’s New and How to Get It
Company of Heroes is a critically acclaimed real-time strategy game that lets you experience the epic battles of World War II as never before. You can command your troops, use the environment to your advantage, and witness the devastating effects of war on the dynamic battlefields.
In 2013, SEGA acquired the rights to the game and released a new version on Steam that fixed many bugs, improved compatibility, and added Steam features such as trading cards, workshop, and cloud support. This version is now simply called “Company of Heroes” on Steam, while the original version is renamed to “Company of Heroes – Legacy Edition”.
The latest update for the new version is v.2.700.0, which was released in September 2015. This update includes:
- A new map: Langreskaya Summer
- A new game mode: Victory Point Control
- A new observer mode: Spectator
- Balance changes for all factions
- Performance and stability improvements
- Various bug fixes and tweaks
If you already own Company of Heroes on Steam, you can download the new version for free by going to your library and selecting “Company of Heroes”. If you don’t own it yet, you can buy it from the Steam store for $19.99 or get the complete pack with all the expansions for $36.99.
Whether you are a veteran or a newcomer to the game, you will enjoy the enhanced gameplay and graphics of Company of Heroes – New Steam Version (v.2.700.0). Don’t miss this opportunity to relive the history and glory of WWII in one of the best RTS games ever made.
But how do you play Company of Heroes – New Steam Version (v.2.700.0) effectively? What are some tips and tricks to help you win the war? Here are some suggestions based on our experience and research:
- Learn the hotkeys. Company of Heroes is a fast-paced game that requires quick reactions and multitasking. You don’t want to waste time clicking on menus and buttons when you can use keyboard shortcuts to perform actions faster. For example, you can use Q, W, E, R, T, Y to select your different buildings, and 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to select your different units. You can also use A to attack move, S to stop, H to hold fire, G to throw grenades, and many more. You can check the full list of hotkeys in the game options or online.
- Use cover and flanking. Cover is one of the most important mechanics in Company of Heroes. It affects how much damage your units take and deal in combat. There are three types of cover: green (heavy), yellow (light), and red (negative). You want to position your units in green or yellow cover whenever possible, and avoid red cover at all costs. You can see the cover indicator on the cursor when you hover over a terrain feature or a building. Flanking is another crucial tactic that involves attacking your enemy from the sides or the rear. Flanking reduces or negates the cover bonus of your enemy, and also exposes their weak spots. For example, tanks have weaker armor on their rear than on their front, so flanking them with anti-tank units can deal more damage and destroy them faster.
- Use combined arms and counters. No one type of unit can win in Company of Heroes. You’ll need the combined efforts of combat infantry, engineers, light vehicles, armor, AT, and artillery if you want to have a prayer of victory. Each unit type has its strengths and weaknesses, and you need to know how to use them effectively and counter your enemy’s units. For example, infantry are good at capturing points and fighting other infantry, but they are vulnerable to machine guns and mortars. Engineers can build defenses and repair vehicles, but they are weak in combat. Light vehicles are fast and agile, but they are easily destroyed by anti-tank weapons. Armor is powerful and durable, but it is expensive and slow. AT is effective against vehicles, but it is useless against infantry. Artillery can deal massive damage from afar, but it is fragile and inaccurate. You need to balance your army composition and adapt to the situation on the battlefield.
- Use abilities and upgrades. Many units in Company of Heroes have special abilities that can turn the tide of battle if used wisely. For example, riflemen can throw sticky bombs at enemy vehicles to immobilize them, volksgrenadiers can use panzerfausts to damage enemy armor, snipers can camouflage themselves and pick off enemy infantry from a distance, tanks can use smoke screens to escape from danger, and so on. You can also upgrade your units with better weapons or equipment to improve their performance. For example, you can equip your riflemen with BARs or grenades to increase their firepower against infantry, or you can equip your engineers with flamethrowers or minesweepers to make them more versatile.
- Use the tactical map and pause. Company of Heroes is a large-scale game that requires you to manage multiple fronts and objectives at once. You don’t want to lose sight of what’s happening on the map while you’re focused on a specific fight or area. You can use the tactical map (N key by default) to get a bird’s eye view of the entire battlefield and see where your units and enemies are located. You can also issue commands from the tactical map by clicking on units or points of interest. You can also use the tactical pause (Spacebar by default) to stop the action and plan your next moves without pressure. This is especially useful for beginners who need some time to think or for veterans who want to execute complex maneuvers.
These are just some of the basic tips and tricks that can help you improve your skills in Company of Heroes – New Steam Version (v.2.700.0). Of course, there is much more to learn and master in this game, such as different factions, doctrines, strategies, maps, modes, etc. But with practice and patience, you will soon become a seasoned commander who can lead your troops to glory.