How to Download and Install Office 2019 on Windows for Free
Microsoft Office 2019 is the latest version of the popular productivity suite that includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and more. Office 2019 offers new features and improvements over Office 2016, such as enhanced inking, data analysis, presentation, and email tools. However, unlike previous versions of Office, Office 2019 is not available as a subscription service through Microsoft 365. Instead, it is a one-time purchase that requires a product key or a Microsoft account to activate.
If you want to try out Office 2019 without spending any money, you can download and install it for free on your Windows PC. However, this method is not officially supported by Microsoft and may violate their terms of service. Therefore, use it at your own risk and discretion. In this article, we will show you how to download and install Office 2019 on Windows for free using the Office Deployment Tool.
Download the Office Deployment Tool
The Office Deployment Tool (ODT) is a command-line tool that allows you to download and install Office products from Microsoft’s servers. You can use it to customize various aspects of your installation, such as the edition, language, architecture, and update channel of Office 2019.
To download the ODT, follow these steps:
- Go to this page on Microsoft’s website and click Download.
- Select OfficeDeploymentTool.exe from the list of files and click Next.
- Save the file to a folder on your desktop.
- Double-click OfficeDeploymentTool.exe to run it.
- Accept the license agreement and click Continue.
- Select a folder on your desktop to extract the ODT files and click OK.
- You should see two files in the folder: setup.exe and configuration.xml. You will need both files for the next step.
Create a Configuration File
A configuration file is a text file that contains instructions for the ODT on how to download and install Office 2019. You can edit the configuration file with any text editor, such as Notepad or WordPad.
To create a configuration file, follow these steps:
- Open configuration.xml with your preferred text editor.
- Delete everything in the file and replace it with the following code:
- Save the file as configuration.xml in the same folder as setup.exe.
This configuration file tells the ODT to download and install the 64-bit version of Office Professional Plus 2019 in English from the PerpetualVL2019 update channel. It also tells the ODT to run silently, accept the end-user license agreement, and activate Office automatically. You can modify the configuration file according to your preferences. For more information on how to create and edit configuration files, see this article on Microsoft’s website.
Run the Setup Program
Once you have created the configuration file, you can run the setup program from the command prompt to download and install Office 2019. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the command prompt by pressing Windows + R on your keyboard, typing cmd, and clicking OK.
- Navigate to the folder where you saved setup.exe and configuration.xml. For example, if you saved them in a folder called Office on your desktop, type cd Desktop\Office and press Enter.
- Type setup.exe /download configuration.xml and press Enter. This will download the Office 2019 installation files to the folder specified in the configuration file. This may take some time depending on your internet speed and the size of the files.
- Type setup.exe /configure configuration.xml and press Enter. This will install Office 2019 on your PC using the settings specified in the configuration file. You will not see any progress or confirmation messages, but you can check the task manager to see if the setup process is running.
- Wait for the setup process to finish. This may take several minutes depending on your PC’s performance and the number of Office applications installed.
- You can verify that Office 2019 is installed by opening any Office application, such as Word or Excel, and checking the version number in the Account section.
Activate Office 2019
To use Office 2019, you need to activate it with a valid product key or a Microsoft account. If you have a product key, you can enter it during or after the installation. If you have a Microsoft account, you can sign in with it after the installation. To activate Office 2019, follow these steps:
- If you have a product key, open any Office application and click Enter Product Key. Enter your 25-digit product key and click Continue. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the activation.
- If you have a Microsoft account, open any Office application and click Sign in. Enter your email address and password and click Next. Follow the instructions on the screen to link your account to Office 2019.
- You can check the activation status of Office 2019 by opening any Office application and clicking File > Account. You should see a message that says Product Activated.
Troubleshoot Common Issues
Sometimes, you may encounter some issues during or after the installation of Office 2019. For example, you may see error messages, missing features, or activation problems. Here are some tips on how to troubleshoot some common issues:
- If you see an error message that says “We can’t install”, “Sorry, something went wrong”, or something similar, it may be due to a corrupted download, a conflicting program, or insufficient disk space. To fix this issue, try deleting the installation files from the folder specified in the configuration file and downloading them again. You can also try running the setup program as an administrator, disabling your antivirus software temporarily, or freeing up some disk space.
- If you see an error message that says “This product key has already been used”, “The product key you entered cannot be used on this machine”, or something similar, it may be due to a product key that is not compatible with Office 2019, a product key that has been used on another device, or a product key that has been blocked by Microsoft. To fix this issue, try using a different product key that matches the edition and channel of Office 2019, or contact Microsoft support for assistance.
- If you see an error message that says “Unlicensed Product”, “Product Deactivated”, or something similar, it may be due to an expired subscription, a network connection problem, or a hardware change. To fix this issue, try signing in with your Microsoft account again, checking your internet connection, or running the activation troubleshooter.
- If you see an error message that says “Something went wrong”, “We couldn’t start your program”, or something similar, it may be due to a corrupted installation, a missing update, or a registry problem. To fix this issue, try repairing Office 2019 from the Control Panel, installing the latest updates for Office 2019, or resetting the registry settings for Office 2019.
- If you are missing some features or functions in Office 2019, such as the Design Ideas tool in PowerPoint or the Data Types tool in Excel, it may be due to the edition or channel of Office 2019 that you installed. Some features are only available in certain editions or channels of Office 2019. To fix this issue, try installing a different edition or channel of Office 2019 that includes the features you want.
For more help on troubleshooting Office 2019 issues, you can visit this page on Microsoft’s website and search for your specific problem.
In this article, we have shown you how to download and install Office 2019 on Windows for free using the Office Deployment Tool. We have also explained how to create and edit a configuration file, how to run the setup program from the command prompt, how to activate Office 2019 with a product key or a Microsoft account, and how to troubleshoot some common issues. We hope you found this article helpful and informative.
Office 2019 is a powerful and versatile productivity suite that can help you create and manage documents, spreadsheets, presentations, emails, and more. However, it is not a free product and requires a valid license to use. If you want to use Office 2019 legally and securely, we recommend that you purchase it from Microsoft’s website or an authorized retailer. Alternatively, you can subscribe to Microsoft 365 and get access to the latest version of Office and other cloud-based services.
If you have any questions or feedback about this article, please feel free to leave a comment below. We would love to hear from you and answer your queries. Thank you for reading!
- What is the difference between Office 2019 and Microsoft 365?
- Can I install Office 2019 on more than one device?
- Can I upgrade from Office 2016 to Office 2019?
- Can I use Office 2019 offline?
- How long can I use Office 2019 for free?
Office 2019 is a one-time purchase that gives you access to the latest version of Office applications for one device. Microsoft 365 is a subscription service that gives you access to the latest version of Office applications for multiple devices, as well as other cloud-based services such as OneDrive, Skype, and Teams.
No, you can only install Office 2019 on one device per license. If you want to install Office 2019 on more than one device, you need to purchase additional licenses or subscribe to Microsoft 365.
Yes, you can upgrade from Office 2016 to Office 2019 by following the same steps as in this article. However, you need to uninstall Office 2016 first before installing Office 2019. You also need to have a compatible product key or Microsoft account to activate Office 2019.
Yes, you can use Office 2019 offline without an internet connection. However, you need an internet connection to download and install Office 2019, as well as to activate it and receive updates.
There is no definitive answer to this question. The method described in this article is not officially supported by Microsoft and may violate their terms of service. Therefore, use it at your own risk and discretion. Microsoft may detect and disable your installation of Office 2019 at any time.