How to Download Files While Your Windows PC is in Sleep Mode
Do you want to download files while your Windows PC is in sleep mode? Sleep mode is a power-saving feature that reduces the energy consumption of your PC by turning off some components when you are not using it. However, sleep mode also interrupts any ongoing downloads, which can be frustrating if you want to finish them overnight or when you are away from your PC.
In this article, we will show you how to keep downloading files while your Windows PC is in sleep mode. There are two main methods: changing the power settings or using a third-party tool. Let’s see how they work.
Method 1: Changing the Power Settings
The first method is to change the power settings of your PC to prevent it from going into sleep mode automatically. This way, you can leave your PC on and continue downloading files as long as it is plugged in or has enough battery power. Here are the steps:
- Open the Start menu and type “power & sleep settings”. Click on the result that appears.
- In the Power & sleep settings window, click on “Additional power settings” on the right side.
- In the Power Options window, click on “Change plan settings” next to the power plan that you are using.
- In the Edit Plan Settings window, change the “Put the computer to sleep” option to “Never” for both “On battery” and “Plugged in”. Click on “Save changes”.
Now, your PC will not go into sleep mode automatically and you can download files without interruption. However, this method also means that your PC will consume more energy and generate more heat, which can affect its performance and lifespan. Therefore, you should only use this method temporarily and revert the changes when you are done downloading.
Method 2: Using a Third-Party Tool
The second method is to use a third-party tool that can keep your PC awake and download files while it is in sleep mode. One such tool is Insomnia, which is a free and portable program that prevents your PC from sleeping or locking while it is running. Here are the steps:
- Download Insomnia from https://dlaa.me/Insomnia/ and extract the ZIP file to a folder of your choice.
- Run Insomnia.exe and you will see a small window with a coffee cup icon. This means that Insomnia is active and your PC will not go into sleep mode.
- To download files while your PC is in sleep mode, click on the “Sleep Mode Downloads” button on the Insomnia window. This will open a new window where you can enter the URL of the file that you want to download and choose a destination folder.
- Click on “Start Download” and Insomnia will start downloading the file in the background while keeping your PC awake. You can minimize the Insomnia window or close it to hide it in the system tray.
To stop Insomnia from preventing your PC from sleeping, right-click on its icon in the system tray and select “Exit”. You can also pause or cancel any ongoing downloads from the Sleep Mode Downloads window.
Insomnia is a handy tool that lets you download files while your PC is in sleep mode without changing any power settings. However, it also has some limitations, such as only supporting HTTP and HTTPS protocols, not resuming interrupted downloads, and not verifying the integrity of downloaded files. Therefore, you should use it with caution and check the downloaded files for errors or corruption.
In this article, we showed you how to download files while your Windows PC is in sleep mode using two methods: changing the power settings or using a third-party tool like Insomnia. Both methods have their pros and cons, so you should choose the one that suits your needs and preferences. We hope this article was helpful and informative for you.