How to Download and Play MAME 0.139 Roms on Your Computer
MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) is a software that allows you to play classic arcade games on your computer. MAME 0.139 is one of the most popular versions of MAME, and it has a large collection of roms (games) that you can download and play.
In this article, we will show you how to download and play MAME 0.139 roms on your computer using the official binary package for Windows (64-bit). You will also need to download the roms collection by Ghostware, which contains over 10,000 roms for MAME 0.139.
Step 1: Download and Install MAME 0.139
The first step is to download and install MAME 0.139 on your computer. You can find the official binary package for Windows (64-bit) at the Internet Archive. The file name is mame0139-official-windows64.zip and it is about 17 MB in size.
Once you have downloaded the file, you need to extract it to a folder of your choice. For example, you can extract it to C:\MAME\. You will see a file called mame64.exe in the folder. This is the executable file that you will use to run MAME.
Step 2: Download and Extract MAME 0.139 Roms Collection
The next step is to download and extract the MAME 0.139 roms collection by Ghostware. This is a huge file that contains over 10,000 roms for MAME 0.139. You can find it at the Internet Archive. The file name is MAME0.139RomCollectionByGhostware.zip and it is about 29 GB in size.
Once you have downloaded the file, you need to extract it to a folder of your choice. For example, you can extract it to C:\MAME\roms\. You will see a lot of zip files in the folder. These are the roms that you can play with MAME.
Step 3: Launch MAME and Play Roms
The final step is to launch MAME and play the roms that you have downloaded. To do this, you need to open the folder where you extracted MAME 0.139 and double-click on mame64.exe. This will open the MAME interface, where you can see a list of available games.
To play a game, you just need to select it from the list and press Enter. You may need to press OK if there are any warnings or messages. Then, you can use the keyboard or a joystick to control the game. You can also press Tab to access the MAME menu, where you can change various settings and options.
MAME 0.139 is a great way to enjoy classic arcade games on your computer. By following this article, you can easily download and play MAME 0.139 roms on your computer using the official binary package for Windows (64-bit) and the roms collection by Ghostware.
If you want to learn more about MAME and its features, you can visit the official website at https://www.mamedev.org/. You can also find more roms and extras for MAME at https://archive.org/details/MAME0.139_MAME2010_Reference_Set_ROMs_CHDs_Samples. Have fun!
Some Tips and Tricks for MAME
MAME is a powerful and versatile emulator that can run thousands of arcade games from different eras and platforms. However, it can also be a bit tricky to use and configure, especially for beginners. Here are some tips and tricks that can help you get the most out of MAME.
- Use the latest version of MAME. MAME is constantly updated and improved by a team of developers and contributors. Using the latest version of MAME can ensure that you have the best compatibility and performance with the roms that you want to play. You can download the latest version of MAME from https://www.mamedev.org/release.php.
- Use the correct roms for your version of MAME. MAME roms are not interchangeable between different versions of MAME. Each version of MAME has its own set of roms that are compatible with it. Using the wrong roms can cause errors or crashes. You can find the correct roms for your version of MAME at https://archive.org/details/messmame or https://www.progettosnaps.net/romset/.
- Use CHDs for games that require them. CHDs (Compressed Hunks of Data) are files that contain additional data for some games, such as graphics, sound, or video. These files are usually large and need to be placed in a subfolder with the same name as the rom zip file. For example, if you have a rom called killerinst.zip, you need to place the CHD file in a folder called killerinst inside the roms folder. You can find CHDs for MAME at https://archive.org/details/MAME0.139_MAME2010_Reference_Set_ROMs_CHDs_Samples.
- Use samples for games that require them. Samples are files that contain sound effects for some games that do not have them in the roms. These files need to be placed in a folder called samples inside the roms folder. For example, if you want to play Donkey Kong, you need to place the dkong.zip file in the samples folder. You can find samples for MAME at https://archive.org/details/MAME0.139_MAME2010_Reference_Set_ROMs_CHDs_Samples.
- Use cheats for games that support them. Cheats are codes that can modify the gameplay of some games, such as giving you infinite lives, invincibility, or access to hidden levels. These codes need to be placed in a file called cheat.dat inside the MAME folder. You can find cheats for MAME at https://www.mamecheat.co.uk/.
Some of the Best Games for MAME
MAME can run thousands of arcade games from different genres and eras, from classic 8-bit titles to modern 3D ones. However, some games stand out as being especially fun, challenging, or influential. Here are some of the best games that you can play with MAME.
- Pac-Man (1980). The iconic game that started the maze craze and made Pac-Man a global phenomenon. Eat dots and fruits while avoiding ghosts in four different mazes.
- Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (1991). The game that revolutionized the fighting genre and spawned countless sequels and spin-offs. Choose from eight different fighters and battle your way through various stages and opponents.
- Metal Slug (1996). The game that defined the run-and-gun genre and introduced the distinctive art style and humor of the Metal Slug series. Blast your way through hordes of enemies and vehicles using various weapons and vehicles.
- The Simpsons (1991). The game that brought the popular animated sitcom to the arcades and featured four-player cooperative gameplay. Play as Homer, Marge, Bart, or Lisa and fight against Mr. Burns and his minions.
- Tekken 3 (1997). The game that established Tekken as one of the leading 3D fighting franchises and introduced many new characters and features. Choose from over 20 different fighters and compete in various modes and stages.