What is PS5’s next move?
The PlayStation 5 (PS5) is one of the most popular and powerful gaming consoles in the market today. Since its launch in November 2020, it has sold over 13 million units worldwide, surpassing its predecessor, the PlayStation 4 (PS4), in terms of sales pace. However, the PS5 also faces some challenges, such as supply shortages, fierce competition from rivals like Microsoft’s Xbox Series X/S and Nintendo’s Switch, and increasing consumer demands for more content and features.
So what is PS5’s next move? How can Sony maintain its lead in the console war and satisfy its loyal fanbase? One possible option is to buy a new studio to bolster its lineup of exclusive games. Another possible option is to announce something big that will generate hype and excitement for its future plans. In this article, we will explore both options and weigh their benefits and risks.
The case for buying a new studio
Why Sony needs more exclusives
One of the main reasons why people buy a PS5 is to play games that they can’t play anywhere else. These are called exclusive games, and they are a key factor for attracting and retaining customers. Exclusive games showcase the unique capabilities of the PS5 hardware and software, offer diverse and innovative gameplay experiences, and create loyal communities around them.
Sony knows this very well, and that’s why it has been investing heavily in acquiring studios to expand its portfolio of exclusive games. In 2021 alone, Sony bought five studios: Housemarque (Returnal), Nixxes (PC porting specialists), Firesprite (The Playroom), Bluepoint (Demon’s Souls remake), and Valkyrie Entertainment (support studio). These acquisitions added to Sony’s existing roster of 16 studios under its PlayStation Studios umbrella.
| | |
Which studios could Sony buy?
With so many studios already under its belt, Sony might seem to have enough studios to produce exclusive games for the PS5. However, there are always rumors and possibilities of Sony buying more studios to further strengthen its position in the industry. Here are some of the most popular or promising studios that Sony could potentially buy:
- Bungie: The creators of Halo and Destiny are one of the most respected and successful studios in the gaming world. They have a loyal fanbase, a proven track record of delivering high-quality games, and a new IP in the works called Matter. Bungie is currently an independent studio, but it has a history of working with Sony on exclusive content for Destiny. Sony could benefit from acquiring Bungie and securing its future games as exclusives for the PS5.
- Remedy Entertainment: The Finnish studio behind games like Max Payne, Alan Wake, Control, and Quantum Break is known for its cinematic storytelling, immersive worlds, and innovative gameplay mechanics. Remedy has a close relationship with Sony, as it is developing two games for the PS5: a multiplayer spin-off of Control and a new AAA game. Sony could benefit from acquiring Remedy and expanding its portfolio of narrative-driven games.
- FromSoftware: The Japanese studio behind games like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Elden Ring is one of the most influential and acclaimed studios in the industry. Its games are renowned for their challenging gameplay, rich lore, and artistic design. FromSoftware has a long-standing partnership with Sony, as it has developed several exclusive games for the PlayStation platforms, such as Demon’s Souls, Bloodborne, and Deracine. Sony could benefit from acquiring FromSoftware and securing its future games as exclusives for the PS5.
Of course, these are just some of the possible candidates that Sony could buy. There are many other studios that could be on Sony’s radar, such as Kojima Productions, Insomniac Games, or Square Enix. However, buying a new studio is not an easy or cheap decision, and it comes with its own benefits and risks.
| | |
What are the benefits and risks of buying a new studio?
Buying a new studio can have many benefits for Sony and its PS5 customers. Some of the main benefits are:
- Gaining access to new IP: By buying a new studio, Sony can acquire the rights to its existing and future intellectual property (IP), which are the characters, stories, and worlds that make up a game. This can give Sony more variety and diversity in its exclusive games, as well as more potential for cross-media adaptations, such as movies, TV shows, comics, or merchandise.
- Gaining access to new talent: By buying a new studio, Sony can also acquire the talent that works in it, which are the developers, designers, artists, writers, and programmers that create the games. This can give Sony more expertise and creativity in its exclusive games, as well as more opportunities for collaboration and innovation among its studios.
- Gaining access to new technology: By buying a new studio, Sony can also acquire the technology that it uses, which are the tools, engines, platforms, and systems that enable the games. This can give Sony more capabilities and efficiency in its exclusive games, as well as more compatibility and optimization for the PS5 hardware and software.
However, buying a new studio can also have some risks for Sony and its PS5 customers. Some of the main risks are:
- Facing integration challenges: By buying a new studio, Sony has to integrate it into its existing structure and culture, which can be a complex and time-consuming process. This can cause some disruptions and delays in the development and release of the games, as well as some conflicts and misunderstandings among the staff.
- Facing cultural clashes: By buying a new studio, Sony has to respect and preserve its identity and vision, which can be different from its own. This can cause some tensions and disagreements in the creative and strategic direction of the games, as well as some loss of autonomy and originality for the studio.
- Facing high costs: By buying a new studio, Sony has to pay a large amount of money to acquire it, which can be a significant investment and risk. This can affect Sony’s financial situation and performance, as well as its ability to invest in other areas or projects.
As you can see, buying a new studio is not a simple or straightforward decision for Sony. It has to weigh the benefits and risks carefully, and consider the value and fit of the studio for its PS5 strategy. But buying a new studio is not the only option that Sony has. It could also announce something big that will surprise and delight its PS5 customers.
The case for announcing something big
Why Sony needs to generate hype
Another way that Sony can boost its PS5 sales and satisfaction is to announce something big that will generate hype and excitement among its fans and media. Hype is the level of interest and anticipation that a game or product generates before its release, and it can have a significant impact on its success and reception. Hype can increase the awareness and visibility of the game or product, create a positive word-of-mouth and social media buzz, and drive more pre-orders and purchases.
Sony knows this very well, and that’s why it has been using events like State of Play or PlayStation Showcase to reveal its upcoming projects and plans for the PS5. These events are usually streamed online and watched by millions of viewers, who eagerly await for Sony to drop some bombshells and surprises. Sony has used these events to announce some of its biggest and most anticipated games, such as God of War: Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, and Gran Turismo 7.
| | |
What could Sony announce?
With so many games already announced, Sony might seem to have nothing left to surprise its PS5 customers. However, there are always rumors and possibilities of Sony announcing something big that will blow everyone’s minds. Here are some of the most exciting and plausible things that Sony could announce:
- A new PlayStation VR headset: The PlayStation VR (PSVR) is Sony’s virtual reality (VR) headset that works with the PS4 and PS5. It allows players to experience games in a more immersive and realistic way, by putting them in the center of the action. The PSVR was launched in 2016, and it has sold over 5 million units worldwide, making it one of the most popular VR devices in the market. However, the PSVR is also outdated and limited by its hardware and software, which can affect its performance and compatibility with the PS5. Sony has confirmed that it is working on a new PSVR headset for the PS5, which will have improved resolution, field of view, tracking, and controllers. Sony could announce this new PSVR headset and show some of the games that will support it, such as Resident Evil 4 VR, Doom 3 VR, or Half-Life: Alyx.
- A new PlayStation Plus service: The PlayStation Plus (PS Plus) is Sony’s subscription service that offers various benefits to its members, such as online multiplayer access, free monthly games, exclusive discounts, cloud storage, and more. The PS Plus was launched in 2010, and it has over 47 million subscribers worldwide, making it one of the most popular subscription services in the industry. However, the PS Plus is also facing competition from other services, such as Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass or Nintendo’s Switch Online, which offer more value and features to their customers. Sony could announce a new PS Plus service that will enhance its offerings and appeal to its PS5 customers. For example, Sony could include more PS5 games in its free monthly lineup, offer more cloud streaming options for backward compatibility, or introduce a tiered system that will allow customers to choose their preferred level of benefits.
- A new PlayStation collaboration: The PlayStation brand is not only limited to games and consoles, but also extends to other media and platforms. Sony has been collaborating with other companies and creators to expand its reach and influence in the entertainment industry. For example, Sony has partnered with Marvel Studios to produce movies based on Spider-Man and Venom characters, with Netflix to stream some of its games as TV shows or movies, such as The Last of Us or Uncharted, and with Discord to integrate its chat service into the PlayStation Network. Sony could announce a new PlayStation collaboration that will create more opportunities and synergies for its PS5 customers. For instance, Sony could partner with Epic Games to bring Fortnite characters or items into some of its games, with Apple to offer Apple Music or Apple TV+ on the PS5, or with Valve to bring Steam games or features to the PS5.
Of course, these are just some of the possible things that Sony could announce. There are many other things that could be on Sony’s agenda, such as new hardware accessories, software updates, or price cuts. However, announcing something big is not a simple or straightforward decision for Sony either. It also has to weigh the benefits and risks carefully, and consider the impact and feasibility of the announcement. But announcing something big is not the only option that Sony has. It could also buy a new studio to bolster its lineup of exclusive games. So which option is better for Sony and its PS5 customers? Let’s compare them and see.
In this article, we have explored two possible options for Sony’s next move for the PS5: buying a new studio or announcing something big. Both options have their benefits and risks, and both options could help Sony maintain its lead in the console war and satisfy its loyal fanbase. However, if we had to choose one option over the other, we would go with announcing something big.
Why? Because announcing something big can have a more immediate and widespread effect on the PS5’s sales and satisfaction, while buying a new studio can take more time and resources to pay off. Announcing something big can create more hype and excitement for the PS5, which can translate into more customers and revenue. Buying a new studio can create more exclusives and quality for the PS5, but it can also face more challenges and costs. Announcing something big can also be more flexible and adaptable to the changing market and customer needs, while buying a new studio can be more rigid and irreversible.
Of course, this is just our personal opinion, and we could be wrong. Sony might have a different strategy or plan for the PS5, or it might even do both options at the same time. Ultimately, what matters is that Sony delivers on its promises and meets the expectations of its PS5 customers. We hope that Sony will continue to surprise and delight us with its PS5 games and products, and we look forward to seeing what Sony will do next.
Here are some common questions related to the topic of this article:
- How many studios does Sony own?
Sony owns 21 studios under its PlayStation Studios umbrella, as of September 2021. These are: Bend Studio, Bluepoint Games, Firesprite, Guerrilla Games, Insomniac Games, London Studio, Media Molecule, Naughty Dog, Nixxes Software, Pixelopus, Polyphony Digital, San Diego Studio, San Mateo Studio, Santa Monica Studio, Sucker Punch Productions, Team Asobi, Valkyrie Entertainment, Visual Arts Service Group, XDev Europe, Housemarque, and ForwardWorks.
- What are the best PS5 exclusives?
This is a subjective question, as different people might have different preferences and opinions on what makes a game good or bad. However, some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful PS5 exclusives are: Demon’s Souls, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Deathloop, Ghost of Tsushima: Director’s Cut, Astro’s Playroom, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Destruction AllStars, and Bugsnax.
- When is the next PlayStation event?
This is an unpredictable question, as Sony does not have a fixed schedule or frequency for its PlayStation events. However, based on its previous events, Sony usually holds a PlayStation event every few months, usually around major gaming events or seasons, such as E3, Gamescom, Tokyo Game Show, or the holiday season. The last PlayStation event was the PlayStation Showcase on September 9, 2021, where Sony announced some of its upcoming PS5 games, such as God of War: Ragnarok, Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, and Gran Turismo 7. Therefore, the next PlayStation event could be expected sometime in late 2021 or early 2022.
- How much does a PS5 cost?
The PS5 has two versions: the standard edition and the digital edition. The standard edition has a disc drive that allows playing physical games and Blu-ray discs, while the digital edition does not have a disc drive and only allows playing digital games. The standard edition costs $499.99 USD / £449.99 GBP / €499.99 EUR / ¥49,980 JPY, while the digital edition costs $399.99 USD / £359.99 GBP / €399.99 EUR / ¥39,980 JPY.
- Where can I buy a PS5?
The PS5 is available to buy from various online and physical retailers, such as Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, Target, Walmart, and more. However, due to the high demand and low supply of the PS5, it can be very hard to find one in stock. The PS5 is often sold out or out of stock in most retailers, and it can be resold at higher prices by scalpers or third-party sellers. Therefore, if you want to buy a PS5, you have to be very patient and vigilant, and check the availability and prices of the PS5 regularly on different websites or stores.