How to Download and Install Kodi on Your Device
Kodi is an award-winning free and open source software media player and entertainment hub for digital media. With its beautiful interface and powerful skinning engine, it’s available for Android, BSD, Linux, macOS, iOS, tvOS and Windows.
If you want to enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows, music, podcasts, photos and more on your device, you need to download and install Kodi first. Here are the steps to do that:
- Go to the official Kodi website https://kodi.tv/ and click on the “Download” button.
- Select your platform from the list of supported devices. You can also choose the “Recommended” option to get the latest stable version of Kodi for your device.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to download the Kodi installer file. Depending on your platform, you may need to unzip the file or run it as an administrator.
- Launch the Kodi installer and follow the steps to install Kodi on your device. You can customize the installation options according to your preferences.
- Once the installation is complete, you can launch Kodi from your device’s menu or desktop shortcut. You can also update Kodi to the latest version by checking for updates in the “System” menu.
Congratulations! You have successfully downloaded and installed Kodi on your device. Now you can explore its features and add-ons to enhance your media experience.
How to Use Kodi to Stream Media
As we mentioned earlier, Kodi does not provide any media content by itself. You need to either add your own media files to the Kodi library or use third-party add-ons to stream media from the internet.
How to Add Your Own Media Files to Kodi
If you have media files stored on your device or on a network-attached storage (NAS) device, you can add them to the Kodi library and enjoy them on your screen. Kodi supports a wide range of media formats, including MP4, MKV, AVI, MP3, FLAC, and more.
To add your own media files to Kodi, follow these steps:
- Go to the Kodi home screen and click on the category of media you want to add, such as Movies, TV Shows, Music, or Pictures.
- On the next screen, click on Enter files section.
- Click on Add videos (or Add music or Add pictures depending on your choice).
- Click on Browse and navigate to the folder where your media files are located. You can also use the Add network location option if your files are on a NAS device or another computer on the same network.
- Click on OK and give a name to your media source. You can also choose a scraper to fetch metadata and artwork for your media files.
- Click on OK again and wait for Kodi to scan your media files and add them to the library.
Now you can access your media files from the Kodi home screen and play them with various options such as subtitles, audio tracks, playback speed, etc.
How to Use Add-ons to Stream Media on Kodi
If you want to stream media from the internet, such as movies, TV shows, live TV channels, sports, music, etc., you need to use add-ons. Add-ons are like apps that extend the functionality of Kodi and let you access various online sources of media content.
Kodi has an official repository of add-ons that you can install from within the app. These add-ons are verified and safe to use. However, the official repository has a limited selection of add-ons and may not offer what you are looking for.
Fortunately, there are many third-party repositories that host hundreds of unofficial add-ons for Kodi. These add-ons can provide access to a lot more content than the official ones, but they may also come with some risks. Some of these add-ons may offer pirated or illegal content that could get you in trouble with your ISP or authorities. Therefore, you should always use a VPN when using unofficial add-ons on Kodi.
To use add-ons to stream media on Kodi, follow these steps:
- Go to the Kodi home screen and click on Settings (the cog icon) in the upper-left corner.
- Click on System and then toggle on Unknown sources under Add-ons. This will allow you to install add-ons from third-party sources.
- Go back to Settings and click on File manager.
- Click on Add source and then click on
- Type in the URL of the repository you want to install and give it a name. For example, if you want to install The Crew repository, type in https://team-crew.github.io/ and name it The Crew.
- Go back to Settings and click on Add-ons.
- Click on Install from zip file and then select the name of the repository you added. For example, The Crew.
- Select the zip file of the repository and wait for it to install.
- Click on Install from repository and then select the name of the repository again. For example, The Crew Repo.
- Browse through the categories of add-ons available in the repository and select the one you want to install. For example, The Crew Video Add-on.
- Click on Install and then click OK to confirm. Wait for the add-on to install.
Now you can access the add-on from the Kodi home screen under Add-ons > Video add-ons (or Music add-ons or Program add-ons depending on your choice). You can browse through the content offered by the add-on and stream it with