XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2: A Review of the Ultimate Drum Production Studio
If you are looking for a drum virtual instrument that offers realistic sounds, easy customization, and a wide range of genres, you might want to check out XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2. This software is designed to give you the experience of real drums played by real drummers in your music. In this article, we will explore the features, advantages, and disadvantages of Addictive Drums 2, and help you decide if it is the right choice for your music production needs.
What is Addictive Drums 2?
Addictive Drums 2 is a drum virtual instrument developed by XLN Audio, a company based in Stockholm, Sweden. It can run as a standalone application or as a plugin in your DAW software. It features 21 different drum kits called ADpaks, which cover various genres such as rock, metal, pop, funk, jazz, and more. You can purchase each ADpak individually or as part of a package, depending on your preferences and budget. Each ADpak comes with professionally recorded drums, live rhythm performances, and high quality built-in effects. You can also mix and match different kits and sounds to create your own custom drum kits.
What are the advantages of Addictive Drums 2?
Some of the benefits of using Addictive Drums 2 are:
- It is relatively easy to use, even for beginners. The interface is intuitive and user-friendly, and you can access all the features and settings from one screen. You can also drag and drop MIDI files from the software to your DAW for further editing.
- It includes Trigger sounds that create powerful and punchy sounds. These are additional layers of samples that enhance the attack and body of the drums. You can adjust the level and tone of each Trigger sound to suit your taste.
- It allows you to choose only the drum kits you prefer. Unlike some other drum virtual instruments that come with a fixed set of sounds, Addictive Drums 2 lets you select only the ADpaks that match your style and genre. You can also preview each ADpak before buying it.
What are the disadvantages of Addictive Drums 2?
Some of the drawbacks of using Addictive Drums 2 are:
- It requires a lot of disk space and RAM. Each ADpak can take up several gigabytes of storage space, and some of them require more than 4 GB of RAM to run smoothly. You might need to upgrade your computer system or use an external hard drive if you want to use multiple ADpaks at once.
- It does not have a built-in sequencer or groove editor. You can use the included MIDI files or import your own MIDI files to create drum patterns, but you cannot edit them within the software. You will need to use your DAW or another software to edit or create your own grooves.
- It does not have a lot of acoustic drum sounds. Most of the ADpaks are focused on electronic or hybrid drum sounds, which might not suit some genres or styles that require more natural or organic sounds. You might need to use another drum virtual instrument or sample library if you want more acoustic drum sounds.
How to buy and choose Addictive Drums 2?
If you are interested in buying Addictive Drums 2, you can visit the official website of XLN Audio and browse through their online store. You can choose from different packages that include different numbers of ADpaks, such as:
- Complete Collection: This package includes all 21 ADpaks for $699.95. This is the best option if you want to have access to all the available sounds and genres.
- Creative Collection: This package includes 6 ADpaks for $329.95. These are Boutique Mallets, United Heavy, Modern Soul And R&B, United Pop, Fairfax Vol. 1, and Fairfax Vol. 2. These are some of the most popular and versatile ADpaks that cover a wide range of styles.
- Custom XL: